Installing software using the Install wizard. The Install New Software wizard allows you to add new software to your installation. To install new software:
- Click Help > Install New Software.... This wizard shows you the items that are available for installation.
- You may type the location of a software site or select an existing software site using the Work With combo at the top of the page. By default, the items in a site are grouped by category, with only the latest version of each item shown. You can change the way that you browse available software using the following mechanisms:
- Using the Work With combo box, you can select a site to browse its contents, or you can choose to browse software from all sites. Browsing all sites is useful when you know the name of something but do not know where it is located.
- The filter box can be used to type part of the name of something that you are looking for. The list of items will be filtered to only those matching the text that you type.
- A checkbox at the bottom of the page can be used to control whether the items should be grouped in categories, or listed by name.
- A checkbox at the bottom of the page can be used to control whether all versions, or only the latest versions, of software are shown in the list.
- A checkbox at the bottom of the page can be used to control whether items that are already installed should be shown in the list.
- As you browse the available software, you can check the items that you wish to install.
- When you have finished making your selections, click Next to install the checked items. If the items you are installing require other software items in order to operate, those requirements will be included in your request. A checkbox at the bottom of this page controls whether all software sites will contacted when looking for requirements, or only the site shown in the Work With combo box.
- Once you click Next, the wizard will validate your selections against your installed software, and report any configuration problems that might prevent you from installing a particular software item.
- If there are conflicts that prevent you from installing one or more of your selections, the problems will be reported in the details area at the bottom of the wizard. You may uncheck one or more of the selected items and validate the install by clicking Next again. Or, you may click Back to return to the first page and change your selections.
- If all of the requirements are available and there are no other installation conflicts, clicking Next will show the Install Details page. The items to be installed will be listed. Expanding each item will show what additional items will be required to complete the install. You will see an estimated size of the installation at the bottom of the page.
- If the selected items have license agreements to be reviewed, you must click Next. Carefully review the license agreements for the items you wish to install. You may also notice items in the license list that you did not choose for install, but that are required by the the items that you are installing. If the terms of all these licenses are acceptable, check "I accept the terms in the license agreements." Do not proceed to download the features if the license terms are not acceptable.
- If the license agreements are acceptable, or if the selected items did not have license agreements to review, click Finish. This will begin the download and installation of the new software.
Some of the items may be digitally signed by the company that provides them. This allows you to verify more easily that the features and plug-ins that are about to be downloaded and installed are coming from a trusted supplier. You may be prompted to verify digitally signed content once the signature is detected.
Warning: Because of the possibility of harmful or even malicious software, you should only download software from parties that you trust.
- Once all of the software is downloaded successfully and the necessary files installed into the product on the local computer, you will be prompted to restart for the Workbench. Click Yes when asked to exit and restart the Workbench for the changes to take effect.